Battery Charging Nightmare! RANT MODE

Discussion in 'Walkera TALI H500' started by Buzztronic, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Buzztronic

Buzztronic Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Can't fathom why on earth my battery:

A. Only gets 20 - 30 seconds of flight time.

B. Charges for about 10 seconds (when the charger actually does want to charge it) before telling me it is full.

C. I get 'Bad Connection' warnings many many times when trying to charge DESPITE the cables being connected. The balance charger is in, the main charger cable is in!

The battery is a 11.1 volt battery according to the label on it yet has 5200 mHA. To actually charge this I have to use auto-settings and accept it as a 3 cell battery.

I have tried charging it with an overlander and no good.

I got an IMAX B6 and the same issues have arisen!

I've paid a small fortune for one of the supposedly BEST drones in the world for the price and they can't even supply a decent battery / charger with the frikkin' thing!

Video links below:

2. Buzztronic

Buzztronic Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0

3. Ketse

Ketse New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    My guess is the batterys internal pcb may have some loose wiring. If I had that kind of problem I would open the battery and see if there is anything wrong internally. But if you have still warranty or don't have much experience with these things then I wouldn't recommend it. Afterall LiPo-batteries are quite dangerous if handled badly.

I want to also share my experience with Tali H500 battery:
    My battery seems to degrade very fast. I can charge it fully with Imax B6 (balance charging tooks ~3-4 hours to complete), but it seems to give everytime just shorter and shorter flight time.
    At first when I got H500 I could get about 16 min flight time with iLook+ camera and gimbal onboard. Now after about 30 flights I seem to get only 10 mins.

4. Buzztronic

Buzztronic Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    This is Strange I've heard from another guy on another forum that he gets 15 minutes+ after a year of ownership!

5. Ketse

Ketse New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yes, that's why i'm confused. Even very bad quality LiPo should't degrade so fast. The instability problems I'm having probably cause more current draining because H500 tries to compensate for wobbling, etc.

Also I watched your video just now. Your battery seems indeed to be busted, especially considering that you have same problem with two different chargers.
    The wrong label on your battery makes me think that either factory made some assembly error or someone sold you counterfeit/already broken stuff...
    Genuine & working Tali H500 battery is 6S1P 22.2V 5400mAh 10C. When your battery has totally wrong label and behaviour like that, I would make dealer to give me new battery or refund.

6. Buzztronic

Buzztronic Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Indeed!

The original battery lasts the duration, but the spare one is less decent. The dealer seems to think otherwise but we shall see.

Just took Tali out for a spin in the wind, she performed admirably.

7. Dante

Dante Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 7
    TALI H500 = JUNK

8. Dante

Dante Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 7
    MAY HAVE PERFORMED ,,,,,, FOR NOW, GIVE IT A COUPLE FLIGHTS,, OR MAYBE YOU ,,, HAVE THE ONLY ONE THAT WONT CRASH,, CALL THE PRESS,, LET EM KNOW THAT YOUR HEX DIDNT FALL OUT OF THE SKY,,,,,,,,,

9. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +429 / 13
    Hi Mate,

I understand your frustrations. But here are some clues for you.

The battery is actual 2 x 3s Lipos connected in series. So its a 6S. This is why the labelling says 3s 11V

Get yourself a battery tester for a 6 cell battery they are only a couple of bucks. This will display the voltage of each individual cell. Its a must have in this hobby.

If you connected a battery tester on the JST XH lead you would see that one of the cells in the battery is below 3V. A lipo changer will not change a multi cell Lipo if one cell is too low.

You will get the results you have. Its most likely that that battery is now not so healthy.

To recover it set you battery charger to nicad and change current to about 200ma. and leave for about 10 minutes. This will charge the low cell up enough for the charger to work as a Lipo charger.

the other thing is that the Tali battery will not take a 5A charge and its recommended to only use 3A max.

I use the Turnigy Accucel 6 chargers. They display the individual cell voltages and also the internal resistance each cell.

10. Negens

Negens New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have one of these batteries that I've received today
    And even the box is labelled 11.1v 5200mah.
    Have you finally resolved the issue?