Aibao - Various Issues

Discussion in 'Walkera Aibao' started by wugamlo, Nov 21, 2016.

1. wugamlo

wugamlo New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hello Walkera-Users,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Since about 2 weeks I have a Walkera Aibao drone (after my trusted X350 PRO had a battery failure and fell into the ocean).

I was looking forward to using it as a casual video and photo platform and taking it for hiking, etc.

But after some initial tests, I am not so convinced that this will work. While the drone itself seems to be flying pretty well, taking videos/photos seems to be a bigger issue.

Here some of my observations (I am using the "Walkera Drone"-App on an iPhone 6 in the latest version):
    - Only 4K and 2.7K video quality is selectable (not even speaking about any stabilized video..)
    - 2.7K video seems to produce files with a size of 10 Megabytes per second in very questionable quality
    - The video record / taking photo button on the remote control do not react
    - The video record / taking photo button in the app only work very seldom (I lost videos because I was not able to stop the recording with the button before the memory card was full)

It seems to me that there are major bugs both in the Copter Firmware and in the App.

Did anybody get the Aibao to work to take some "acceptable" photos or videos? Maybe I am doing many things wrong - but somehow I have the feeling that it might mostly be the fault of the device.

Looking forward to your suggestions and thanks for having me in the forum!

Joe

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +231 / 9
    I guess it relates to what you are expecting from this drone.

I have had issues and the App and the FW is still buggy. I expect Walkera will address both over time.

But you have to realise this is not a GoPro 5 powered device nor a Phantom 4 / Pro or Inspire 2.

The Camera is going to be the quality of the build budget.

3. wugamlo

wugamlo New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Thank a lot for your reply. I am aware that I cannot expect GoPro5 / DJI video quality from this product and in general I am not complaining about the video/photo quality. If only there would be a reliable and consistent way to start/stop the video and to take a photo, that would make me happy already :)
    Oh - and a digitally stabilized 1080p video mode would be sweet, too....

I guess for the moment I use it to get more practice in flying and cross my finger for future App and FW updates.

BTW - where will a firmware update be announced?

Joe

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +231 / 9
    Walkera don't announce FW upgrades as such.

They post them on the product download page. I check these regularly for the models I own. Which is most. :eek:

And then post here in the news section.

On non gimbal video stabilisation if you read up on the specs of how the Parrot bebop works you will see that you have to have a camera resolution that is far greater than the output video resolution. So you would need a camera that is larger than 1080P.

Cheers

5. wugamlo

wugamlo New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Thanks for the info! You really seem to know your way around here :)
    I will monitor this forum closely for any new information.

As for the non gimbal stabilization....as the camera on the AiBao is advertised as a 4K camera (maybe closer to 2.7K), there should be plenty of room for a 1080P stabilized output.

Cheers,
    Joe

6. calvinlo

calvinlo New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I understand your frustration and disappointment as well. I too wanted a drone that I can use for gaming as well as for casual aerial video shots.

And I bought the Aibao because I believed in Walkera's official website advertisement - that Aibao allows you to record at 4k, 2.7k, 1080p, 720p, and that you can "...Collect stabilized high quality photography and aerial footage on your mobile device." (exactly what they say in their website)

But till now, there is no 1080p and 720p. And the videos recorded are not stabilized as advertised. To be fair, I don't expect 4k or 2.7k stabilized video with EIS because this is not possible with the present technology. But I was expecting something like Dobby, Xiro Zplorer Mini and Yunnec Breeze, where the video can be downsized from 4k and stabilize at 1080p and 720p.

Too bad it is different from what they have advertised. Had I known that, I would not have bought the Aibao. My only hope is that Walkera will eventually update their apps to stabilized video, but that is a very thin hope.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wugamlo

wugamlo New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

Thanks for your message. Could not agree more. Let's hope that at one point in time Walkera is delivering on their promise as advertised. As this Drone is still very new, I believe that the pressure on them might increase when more customers realize these issues after purchase and voice them out.

Do you face other issues as well? Like the non-responsive record buttons on the remote control?

Cheers,
    Joe

8. calvinlo

calvinlo New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    So far the photo and video buttons works. I do notice that once a warning did appear telling me that the video transmission signal is weak, but the drone was just less than 50 meters from me. Not sure what happened.

Also I notice that the 'Walkera Drone' app only allows you to download offline map from various places in China, and not places outside of China. So the feature for waypoint flying becomes useless.

9. wugamlo

wugamlo New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Haha - in my 'Walkera Drone' app the Map Download function is only in Chinese Language. So I cannot read it anyway.....

10. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +231 / 9
    I used to do a lot of contract work, Writing and reviewing commercial contracts.

You have not read this correctly. The english language can be treated mathematically to determine meaning. (We do this a lot in reviewing contracts) How the wording and paragraphs are structured determines the correlation between words and statements.

As an example:

3+5x7 = 38. This is due to mathematical enumeration rules. (Multiplication and division comes before addition and subtraction)
    (3+5)x7 = 56. This is due to changing the enumeration order by overriding with parenthesis.

The english language uses the Full Stop "period". At the end of a sentence. When reading this means a pause. In writing this means the end of the relationship. If it is bound in the same paragraph it has a loose tie. If in different paragraphs it has no relationship at all unless referenced with a Note *. And the note detailed later in the document. (Commercially this would also included a structured numbered collection of sections, headings sub headings and, etc. Referenced by a numbering system.)

What you have done is taken two different sentences from two complete isolated pages that have no correlation. Then associated them to imply that a relationship exists when it does not.

I can assure you it does not imply that stabilised video is available at all resolutions. It only implies that it is available. So 720P stabilised video achieves and complies with this statement.

So basically you did a 3+5x7 and got 56. A higher value than you should have gotten.

:D

Cheers Brian

p.s.

Now if they had said...."That Aibao allows you to record at 4k, 2.7k, 1080p, 720p, and that you can "...Collect stabilized high quality photography and aerial footage on your mobile device at all available resolutions." Then you can complain. ;)

Yes, I know I'm OCD.