3-Blade propellers? and arm/disarm on a switch?

Discussion in 'Walkera Rodeo 150' started by gbgkille87, Oct 29, 2016.

1. gbgkille87

gbgkille87 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Is there any 3-blade propellers working for the rodeo 150? i dont mean original props i mean other props? if anyone knows?

and is it possible somehow to turn on airmode on the rodeo 150 like a tbs vendetta via cleanflight?

Is it also somehow possible to arm/disarm the motorns by one of the switch ontop of the devo7 controller instead of having it on the trottle pin?

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +415 / 13
    Do not use cleanflight to modify settings. It is not compatible.

Yes it can be done via mixes on the Devo TX. but you need to be careful.

3. Vectivus

Vectivus New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    After a lot of research (I am a complete newbie and the Rodeo is my first "real" quad) I discovered that the Rodeo's motor shaft is 4mm compared to most other motors' 5mm.
    So I bought the cheapest props that were sold with prop adapters (just an example: DYS 6045 Blade Propeller Pro CW/CCW Plastic 2 Pairs ) and then got some 3.5 inch tri blades (one of my mini dreams, to use tri or even better quad blades on the Rodeo), I think these here: 2 Pairs DALPROP 3545 Bullnose T3545BN 3 Blade PC Propeller CW CCW For 100 120 150 RC Multirotors). Since the original Rodeo props are I believe 3.7 inches, 3.5 is as close as possible. After getting the prop adapters and the props, I also needed 4mm nuts to secure the props so after looking around for 2 CW nuts and 2 CCW nuts, I got these here: Lumenier M4 Black Aluminum Low Profile Lock Nut (set of 4 CW) and Lumenier M4 Black Aluminum Low Profile Lock Nut (set of 4 CCW), the result being: WP_20160913_21_51_17_Rich.jpg

WP_20160913_21_53_47_Rich.jpg
    Also tried 3045 (3 inch), it also flies with them but I feel its a little underpowered, compared to the 3545 (3.5 inch) propellers. Also forgot to mention that, because the motor shaft is a little shorter than most other motors, I had to cut the prop adapters in half (roughly), though I again believe that the shaft on newer revisions of the motors is 2mm taller. Now the triblades compared to the original ones are a lot less noisy and they feel (as expected) more tight. Run time I think is lessened but not by much, I haven't timed it but again it did not seem like a notworthy difference.

Disclaimer: As already explained, I am a complete noob, so this was a huge accomplishment for me, to knowledgable folk this may not look like much, but I am proud of my (late white) Rodeo and now my black one : WP_20161205_01_09_07_Rich.jpg and will soon try to check out quad leaf props as well :)

Now, for the arm/disarm thingy. I used this video here to understand the process:

and then used the top right three position switch as:

0 - Unarmed
    1 - Beeper
    2 - Armed
    And its been working just fine up till now for me.

Have fun in the sky :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +415 / 13
    I will repeat my concerns here as well.

There is heaps of silly people posting tips and tricks on most quads on the net. They make a buck if they get lots of hits so they make it sound as attractive as possible.

Now unless you test these props on a proper test stand and understand what the change in diameter and pitch means for current draw you are playing Russian roulette with your model. Excess current draw will blow your ESCs.

And then you get these sillies running around and posting Walkera ESCS are no good they catch fire.

Now a lot of these videos are talking about generic Quads and Generic flight controllers. Thats OK and they provide good information But you cant translate that to BNF and RTF models. And most certainly not proprietary ones like Walkera.

These you modify at your own risk and you will get to tears.

Now if you are a complete newbie then for heavens sake, fly they damn quad. Don't fiddle with it, don't stuff around with it, fly it, and learn to fly better so you can fly something even harder in the future.

Cheers

p.s. Having a switch for motor ARM is just silly and dangerous. Make sure if you do this you attach a good transmitter stand so it cant fall over. And keep everyone away from the TX when you are powering up the quad. God gave you two eyes. Try to keep them intact.

p.p.s. I see your blades have nicks. This will cause vibration and will if it gets excessive cause the Flight controller to do lose its Gyro and Accelerometer stability. i.e. a fall from the sky. Keep your props balanced and undamaged.

5. Vectivus

Vectivus New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Initialy I decided not to answer to your post but... Lets' start.

1. First of all, did you watch the video? I only linked it as I thought it explained the process well, for the OPs perusal and only for that, no clickbait shadow conspiracies anywhere, all is well.

2. So, in order to change props, I should have a test stand, wear a lab coat and run lengthy experiments in order to understand what the change in diameter and pitch means for current draw. Right. Imagine yourself going to buy new tires for your car. What do you do? Do you also run lengthy experiments before hand, do you buy the exact same brand of tires the car came with originally, or do you deviate, playing Russian roulette? If all new people entering the hobby, had to have a test stand, you understand it would not go that well for the industry right?

3. I did have an ESC burnout on me and you can bet it was with the original props and without any modification whatsoever, so best leave that out of the discussion.

4. Now that I had my sarcasm attack wear off, I obviously understand that the Rodeo is not a generic quad. If it was, I would not have to research prop adapters and shaft diameters. I am a newbiee I am not brain dead. It is also obvious that generic youtube videos do not apply to proprietary quads, again the brain statement. It is also 100% obvious that when you mess with something, you may get to tears yes. But this is my decision to take, not yours, as long as I dont endanger other people or property.

5. So this newbies future in this hobby consists strictly of flying correct? Will I ever be worthy of fiddling with my quad? When will that be? When after many years I win say a national contest? Maybe never?
    I believe a huge part of this hobby is INDEED fiddling with your hardware, to make it better or worse and in the process learn a thing or two, its part of having fun.
    Also, yes, as stated many times I am indeed a complete newbie, but what I do with MY quad, again as long as I dont endanger other people or property, is my business alone thank you very much. If I wanna fiddle with it I will fiddle with it till its done for and that will be none of your business.

6. Everybody I see flying a quad has a switch for arming motors, but you believe its silly and dangerous. OK, newbie here, I may be wrong.

7. Thanks for your advice and that there is how your post should have been. You are the knowledgable moderator of a Walkera forum, you are not some kind of Professor/Cop. ADVISE people using your experience, GUIDE them away from modifying proprietary hardware, DONT POLICE their excitement.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +415 / 13
    I like your post. It is well thought out and precise. and not argumentative. Much better than some knee jerk reactions I see.

So here is my cut on two of these things.

This industry is in trouble. Regulations are getting more and more prevalent and we will find ourselves in a position that the only place you will be able to fly is on your own property at a max height of 2 metres. Why is this the case? Many reasons, firstly it is being taken up by the X and Y generations in droves. (The instant gratification Generations) and they do really stupid things and then post them on youtube. Like invading airport secure air space, flying up 2 kilometres in altitude. Secondly the hobby of RC flying in the past required you to join a club, have a license and insurance, and most importantly, get instruction by people that were elected by the members who actually knew what they were doing. You flew under instruction and actually learned the hobby. Now with the advanced flight controllers anyone can fire up a drone and get it in the air. And again as X and Y generations love to live their life on social media and youtube you end up with lots of contradictory and incorrect advice. And that is where the new generation of RC hobbyists go for instruction and assistance. With the club I belong to we have qualified instructors and even have safety officers to "Police" our operations.

I am not saying that these are dramatic issue for us all and the sky is falling. I'm just saying thats the way it is. And we need to be mindful of it.

The other thing here is we get a lot of members joining just to get assistance. Because they cant get it anywhere else. A lot of the Youtube videos etc. Are just a "I am clever aren't I". and dont really offer individual assistance to anyone. We do that here and that is part of our "raison d'ĂȘtre."

We also get a lot of new members that are ESL (English as a second language) or completely non english speakers that use Google Translate.

They get horribly confused with some of the posts here. They tend to follow those that have a video as they can see what is going on rather than interpret the translations. When I see videos of modifications of Walkera models I try and provide a caveat that we don't support that here.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, I just want to advise you to get on the correct float. Walkera is not a model suitable for modifications. There are plenty that are. This is a bad platform for experiments due to the proprietary nature of the models firmware.

I will address you specify statements now.

1. I did watch the video while interesting it promotes modifications of a Walkera model and that is something we try and advise against, not support. I didn't think you had any ulterior motive.
    2. If you had been longer in the hobby you would have grown up with Helis before Multirotors. One really critical thing we had to do when building an electric heli kit was to get the correct motor pinion for the main gear and the motor KV. Anyone that built electric helis or lots of electric fixed wings have a test stand to to determine pinion ranges and select and change ESC's. Its something that we did as part of ensuring we built reliable models that did not explode rotor heads or fry ESC's. If you are going to be serious about this hobby and build from kits and play with props these are the tools of the trade. With the instant "lets just do this" attitude now its do it and then blame the manufacturer when your ESCs fry. I will put some links to good test equipment. I have test standards for my helis, Ducted Fans and standard motors. And prop and blade balancing equipment, Incident meters, digital pitch gauges etc. These are the tools you need to actual build from kits and do modifications. Yes you can just do it but I find that beginners playing with these things are pretty pointless as the don't have the flight skills to determine if the changes are positive or negative. You cant test blades in flight on a multirotor the Flight Controller prevents it.
    3. Yes agreed. Lets leave that out of the discussion.
    4. Yes it is your quad do what you will. Just don't promote that attitude here.
    5. I see a lot of people with the attitude you describe, particularly in younger drivers when I do track days in my Porsche. They are constantly fiddling with their cars and spend more time off track than on track. They would actually go faster around the circuit if they just learnt to drive correctly and got some good instruction. They might even then realise what changes make sense and what don't.
    6. We have a rule at our club. Nobody flies alone. If you have a key to the flying field and you are the first there you have to wait until someone else arrives before you can fly. We have had ambulance attendances. The majority of accidents are from unintentional motor starts. How do these happen. Mostly bumping the radio and having it fall over. Did anyone ever wonder why Walkera, DJI and other manufacturers use the Complex Stick Command to do a motor arm? You know, they could have put it on a switch too. Its not hard to do.
    7. I am not trying to Police peoples enjoyment of this hobby I am trying to make it more enjoyable. If you read through as many posts as I do you can see the frustration that members have because they cant get their models to fly at all not because they want to modify them. That is just a bridge too far for most beginners. In a lot of cases they just give up and abandon the hobby because they cant get the right information or the right support and too many people are preaching the six years down the road position rather than what the next basic step is in learning to fly.

This is what you would use for motor Blade and ESC experiments coupled with a good quality Amp meter.

66623.jpg

Turnigy Thrust Stand

Cheers brian

• Like Like x 1
  7. iskandar

iskandar Active Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    Its my quad, I will do whatever I want with it. MYOB.

Yes, until your quad dropped on your head due to faulty ESC or one of the prop spinning unstable, broke to pieces and one of the shrapnel gets planted inside your skin, then only, you need someone 'else' to carry you on the stretcher.

Keep it up with the attitude.

ps: Read the instruction on side of the box, it is not a toy. If it is not a toy, we cannot just do whatever we want it it, we at least need a proper and safe handling of it. Just like how we treat cars or motorcycles, you can have fun with it, but in a controlled manner and guidance (esp for new driver). Comprende?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  8. Vectivus

Vectivus New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hi Brian and thank you for your reply.

Please excuse me, I never intended to promote any weird "people do whatever you want with your RC models"-anarchy bringing- attitude in here, that was targeted torwards your post that, lets face it, must've been not on a good day.

I also understand that in the position you are in (answering thousands of posts from other users, often repeating yourself over and over again, since you're addressing a lot of people), it is easy to just blow a fuse at the say No3450 post that comes along and once more "strikes a nerve". I often find myself in a very similar position at work.

Let me also express as clearly as possible that I have the utmost respect to this hobby and to its people who indeed are so knowledgeable, careful, organized and are very aware that they are handling something that is not a toy.

This was my first ever RC related post anywhere on the internet, I usually just read what people more knowledgable than me write and dont post anything as I dont believe I can offer to this community yet as I consider myself, as already stated, a complete newb. This was an exception as I was also searching for months to find out if anyone else ever put triblades on the Rodeo, so after managing to do it for me, I kinda felt for the OP and decided to post for the first time. Sorry for all the comotion.

I also understand and agree 100% with you that in our age, more and more people (I am one of them as well) are pouring into this hobby with a more relaxed attitude torwards it, looking for a fast thrill (this is not me), without realizing that they can harm themselves and even worse, other people. Lack of common sense is so common that it is taken as granted.

But does this happen only for this hobby? Dont people do more stupid things everyday? Dont they get even more careless everyday? Dont moral values, common sense, sense of responsibility, all diminish day by day? This world is becoming more crazy and stupid day by day in every aspect not just this hobby.

I understand your concern and aggrevation. People who have been enjoying RC for many many years, without causing any harm, are about to be regulated because teenager X having 1500 euros to spare, drove a 1.5KG drone into a retirement home. Oh and posted it on youtube. It is unfair.

What can one do about this? The ARM/disarm switch in this post is a perfect example.
    Indeed, everywhere I see people are using switches to arm/disarm their quads.
    You calling it silly and dangerous whilst I see everyone doing it, not proving a point.
    Explaining that it is dangerous and that a more complex combination is less likely to arm it by mistake, like the transmitter falling on the table?
    That there is experience talking and that point I understand and apologize for my ignorance.

So in short, I don't think you (or any one else) can stop this hobby from attracting lots of people, including the wrong kind of people, as it is just another thing to become "violated" by changing it into a trend. Heh this reminds me of the heavy metal t-shirts I used to wear when I was a teenager. They were so rare that you could be identified by them. It was like a uniform, specialized clothing. Nowadays, wearing these kind of t-shirts has also become a trend, you see fashion models wearing Slayer and Metallica t-shirts, crazy.
    Anyway going back on track. Maybe what needs to be done is keep reminding new people that see this hobby as a trend, that they need to respect it and this should be communicated in a way that attracts the right kind of people (responsible with common sense that value experience) and pushing away the quick fix ones.

I shall disappear now in my newbieland and never again (hopefully) disturb you.
    Thanks for the lesson,
    Dimitris

p.s. @iskandar umm, yeah, sure.

• Like Like x 2
  9. iThorst

iThorst New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I Loved this idea and took it for a spin!
    Turns out these guys worries to much.
    Sorry for not being politically correct...

The 3*3*3 does not give enough thrust.
    The 3,5*4,5 is probably a good move.
    Do not need a bench test to speculate:
    The stock props spin a bigger radius with a "semi-bullnosy-thing" of some kind
    Basically the surface area of the bull-nose 3,5*4,5 will equal that radius in amp draw. (cancel some drag to receive it elsewhere.)

How's the project going? (=

10. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +415 / 13
    You do whatever you like with your drone. Just don't do anything dangerous around other people.

I suspect that you are young and have the attitude "It wont happen to me".

I was the same until I had a head on with a concrete mixer on my motorbike.

You too will learn over time. :cool: