215 with GoPro Session 5 - too less power?

Discussion in 'Walkera Furious 215' started by pscl, Aug 20, 2017.

1. pscl

pscl New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hey guys!

I recently mounted my GoPro session 5 to my 215. it all worked pretty well and i guess it's the best action cam für Racing quads. But if I carry this little fella around, the furious is getting sluggish...

So the question is... are those 2500kv motors too weak? Will swapping the motors to some mr steeles help? Also im experiencing a Little Delay if I hit full throttle to avoid crash... like 1.5 seconds Delay...

Sure thing is that whil carring the GoPro my quad is draining the battery about 50% faster than without GoPro. I'm getting about 3 Minutes flighttime (full speed).

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Thank you

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +455 / 14
    Its too heavy for this quad.

You would need to change the ESCs Motors, Battery, Props to get more power. Not worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pscl

pscl New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well i think its not that big of an issue... mr steeles motors around 100€, ESCs could stay the same, i already have 4s 75c batterys and new motors means all kinds of probs... well if that is the way maybe im gonna try it :)

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +455 / 14
    Its about power. Bigger motors will require more current from the ESCs. You will fry the existing.

Its like putting a 1,000hp motor in a car without changing the transmission. It doesn't end well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pscl

pscl New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yeah i got that... but the stock motors are already 2500kv... mr steeles or some emax red bottoms are around 2400kv...

maybe i just leave everything as it is and get a DIY quad next spring... i mean... it does work actually... and i dont do more than freestyle atm...

Edit:

On motors: is it only the kv count that tells something about the power of the motor? i mean its obvious that more kv mean more power but maybe ther are other things worth considering new motors...

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +455 / 14
    KV is the number of revs the motor will do per volt at 0 load. No props.

The reason that your model is sluggish is that the motor speeds are being reduced due to the extra weight.

Now Electric motors have max torque at 0 revs. So the demand on current from your ESCs goes up as you have to give it more throttle to hover or climb. Thats why the battery life is reduced.

Now the ESCs and Motors are matched by Walkera so you don't destroy the ESCs even though the motor loads are higher. (Within Reason - This is why i suggest people don't swap props out from 2 to 3 blades with the same length and pitch.)

Bigger motors will have thicker windings and lower resistance so that they can draw more current.

So KV does not mean power. The power rating of a motor will be in Watts, and the motor specs will also advise what max current it will draw so you can match it to the correct rating ESC. You should plan at least 20% overhead in the ESCs. And then you need to multiply by 4 x (Max Current) to determine the C rating required for the battery.

Cheers Brian

• Like Like x 1
  7. pscl

pscl New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thank you very much! you helped me a lot!

so if i switch motors ill nbetter switch esc too..

8. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +455 / 14
    Depending on what you end up with you may need a larger mah and or C rating battery.

e.g. a 2200mah 25C battery can source 25 x 2.2A = 55A max. So thats 55 / 4 = 13.75 Amps per ESC.

If you need 30 Amps per ESC motor combo. Thats 30 x 4 = 120 Amps so you would need as an example a 2600mah 45-65C battery.

Its all about balancing the specs. You will also need to adjust PIDs for the new characteristics. but thats the fun of it all. Good Luck

Cheers Brian.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pscl

pscl New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yes... you got it right :) im pretty new to this but its just fascinating...

currently i have 1300mah 4s 75c batterys... they are pretty common in freestyle i guess... and many others fly with them on a quad with a mounted session 5 (i.e. mr steele, bardwell etc.)...

speakting about pids... do you have a f215? did you changed the pids? if yes... do you have a screenshot?

10. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +455 / 14
    So those batteries will deliver 1.3 x 75 = 97.5 Amps. So they have the Amp power but they just wont last very long.

I have a F215 but its still standard. Don't fly it much. I'm Tuning X350 Premiums at the moment.

I have 2 of them the second one was un-flyable from the factory. completely wrong setup. Not sure how that happened.

When you tried to land the moment one landing leg touched it would zoom in the air and flip over. Its flying fine now.

Next to play with is my Eachine tilt rotor. It goes like a scalded cat.

Cheers