150 wont arm just short a short beep/ cleanflight not recognizing tx inputs

Discussion in 'Walkera Rodeo 150' started by PicklePilot, May 3, 2018.

1. PicklePilot

PicklePilot New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I started flying my beloved Rodeo 150 yesterday. I have flown maybe 6 packs thru it so far with on minor unplanned landings.

My issue is all of a sudden i cant get motors to arm. Maybe i inadvertently changed a setting on tx when i forgot to turn off before putting in a backpack but i don't know.
    When i put left stick (mode2 flyer)in either bottom left or right to arm or disarm i get a short beep then the red light restarts its steady slow flashing.
    Since the issue began ive tried a couple things. 1) I have adjusted the rudder travel to %130 thinking maybe my trims were causing it. 2)I have checked battery voltage to ensure its not a low voltage problem. Any other ideas?
    Is there a way to do factory reset on Devo 7 without losing bind?
    If i can reset Devo 7 and must rebound is that troublesome?

One more detailed (or long winded) question, please.
    I am also not seeing transmitter inputs in cleanflight. This has always been issue since me owning the quad. How do i get cleanflight ti display my Tx inputs?
    I bought my Rodeo 150 RTF w/Devo7 refurbished. To be certain the FC was factory stock i used the configuration file from Walkera to reset the 150 before i ever flew. After i figured out the process of using the config txt file it worked great and the quad flew as if on rails for my maiden and every flight since. But i have not been able to see tx inputs while doing educational exploration of cleanflight without changing settings. I would like to change arming procedure as well as turn on motor idle after i gain a bit more knowledge and get the motors actually armed again lol.

I will ask more long, drawn out questions when i start screwing things up by intentionally changing settings but until then could someone help me with my 2 immediate problems?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

2. PicklePilot

PicklePilot New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I was able to get it to arm by doing "reset all models" via the Tx.

My issue now is getting cleanflight 1.2.0 to recognize Tx inputs.

I am hoping to configure switches to make flights and me learning to fly an easier experience. I have a way of learning that differs from most just as noone is alike, noone learns alike. Here are the switch assignments im hoping for.

Arm/disarm/beeper : FMD
    3 rate and expo settings: MIX
    Angle/Acro: D/R

Another question to add. Is it possible to set up the GEAR switch as a power on/off switch? I often walk 10-15 minutes to a field i like to fly and would like to plug in battery before the walk and after my flight. My main complaint on the 150 is the battery placement. That's not a great design but can see why it was originally thought to be.

3. PicklePilot

PicklePilot New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I appreciate the tons of help i recieved. This is an awesome method of getting help. Lol. Thankfully im not your average noob and am somewhat capable of figuring most things out by research coupled with trial and error.

I had a great flight after resetting Tx via the Tx menu. After the flight i did some experimentation and figured out another solution.
    I got my Tx reset and also the Tx is now recognized. Had to use battery and bind rx to tx then connect to pc.

Now to learn how to assign switches and then calibrate the functions to work properly with those switches

4. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +456 / 14
    You did not need to reset all models. Most likely you bumped the trim switches.

You will now need to program all the settings for the drone from the quick start guide.

Cleanflight is not fully compatible with the Walkera drones. Some settings work some don't.

You cannot power on and off with a switch. The battery is either connected or not. You cannot connect a Physical switch in series with the battery either. The current draw is approx 30 Amps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PicklePilot

PicklePilot New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Thanks for your reply. I actually recentered all the trims and it still would not arm, only a short beep as if it wanted to arm but couldn't.

After resetting the Tx the quad arnes just fine and actually flew great. I was able to change flight modes via the actual FMOD switch as well! This was actually a very nice surprise.

But after reading a thread where you had told another user about configuring Tx thru the manual I did that. So aggravating but I made it through it only to have flight modes on the MIX switch and I have no idea what the FMOD or GEAR switches do even though i configured them to be used. Could you please tell me what tge GEAR and FMOD switches do with the factory config?

After doing the reconfigure and flying another two flights successfully i felt as if my issues were solved. I loaded up a backpack and walked 20 minutes to a nice open field to do my first FPV flight in ACRO mode. After arriving and going through the hassle of the battery hookup and compartment routine I went to arm. Short beep, no arm. I rechecked trims, they were centered. I once again tried raising rudder travel to %130 to see if stick throw was tge issue, no luck. Walk back home aggravated.

I decided at that point to connect to cleanflight 1.2.0 and set arm to AUX1(FMOD) position 2. Now to arm i only have to put switch in position 2 and to disarm put in 0. Since i have no idea what position 0 or 1 of FMOD does and I've noticed no difference in flight I seem to have fixed my problem but sadly haven't figured out what my problem was or is. As far as safety goes i find it much easier to disarm with the switch after a crash, a landing or in the event a dangerous situation arrises in midair.

After you point out the current draw that would glow through a switch it makes sense that a capable switch would need be substantial therefor conducive to flying a sub-mini/micro quad.

I am very much considering reconfiguring the Devo 7 to make use of the switches in a way i feel would be better suited to a mode 2 FPV flier. Is it possible to set up 2 different rate/expo profiles and assign them to a two way switch?

I know you and others say "just fly the darn thing" and trust me I do. I fly a lot(3-5 times a day) considering i only have 1 pack at moment. One of the biggest joys of RC and models to me is tinkering, customizing and making them more enjoyable or useful to my personal preference. This is the reason why i would like the switches activated according to my desires as well as the two different rate settings. I'm wanting to also set FMOD to angle/horizon/air also. Is air mode possible with 1.2.0? If not I can now safely turn on idle since I have arming on a switch but its not the same from what I've read.

Again im sorry if the long posts are too much but I have noone to talk the hobby with(I'm pretty much a hermit) so when i start its hard for me to stop because i have so much i want to learn as well as i sincerely enjoy talking about my passion for quadcopter, flight, aviation, electronics, technology, and FPV.

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +456 / 14
    They do nothing. Switches can either be used to control an output signal on a channel or a logical control Like Enable a second rate.

The Default configuration of the F150 Rodeo is 4 channels Sticks and channel 5 as the Flight mode switch. Gear and FMOD are sending out -100,0,+100 signals on Channels 6 and 7 But the Flight controller does not have any function on these channels.

That is the normal procedure. Use the Dual Rate switch that is next to the Mix Switch, that is its purpose.

I highly recommend that you do not use an arm switch. It is just too damn dangerous. This is why Walkera, DJI etc do not have an arm switch and use the CSC.

Did you calibrate your Devo 7? As i Recommended?

To arm / Disarm its not just the rudder moving from -100 to +100. The throttle must be at -100 or Greater the Elevator and the aileron at 0.

Use the monitor menu in the main Function menu to check the sticks values at rest.

The functionality of the F150 Rodeo is its functionality at the time it was released and its FW version. It does not mean that it support Cleanflight settings for flight modes or any other function.

It is what it is.

Cheers Brian

Here is the manual for the Devo 7. It will explain how to set Dual rates.

Manual: Devention 7

7. PicklePilot

PicklePilot New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I don't understand how a arm switch is dangerous? Some manufactures actually do use a switch to arm and some don't. My Rodeo 150 wont bind unless the switch is in the unarmed position. It requires two full switch clicks and sticks centered with throttle 0 to arm. I can also hit the switch in-flight with the other sticks at any value to diengage motors/props much quicker than zeroing sticks and moving the rudder stick to furthest right position and waiting. I used this ease of motor stop today when heading toward a storage building while low flying at high rate of speed. I was able to disarm quickly and Rodeo dropped like a rock into grass. It did a nasty tumble and cracked lower plate but didn't render me grounded as a full on collision most likely would have. Thankfully it wasn't a person and i didnt have a switch but instead had to rely on attempting a direction change at full throttle. That outcome could have been very bad for me and the hobby.

I understand the newer versions of Cleanflight shouldn't be used for the 150 but I've yet to see an available function of 1.2.0 that isn't configurable. Walkera seems to have intended for this feature to be used or they wouldn't make it compatable or offer the download or state that to unlock the quads full potential some tuning will ne needed. I am learning so i am very cautious as to what i change and research in depth before i change any value.

I have other questions if your still with me. Ive posted a few vids to explain.

1) why do I not have full throw with all sticks? I have reconfigured the Devo with Rodeo manual and running factory Rodeo configuration. All thravel and trim settings are factory or zeroed in Tx.

2) why does gyro slowly go askew while in cleanflight. I have some drift not correctable with trims while flying LOS as well but have chalked it up to wind until I noticed thus in Cleanflight now im not so sure its wind.

3) why will my stick values not return to original? They always favor the last direction by 1 or 2 clicks.Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File Limited%20throw.mp4Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File Not%20centering.mp4Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File Going%20askew.mp4

8. PicklePilot

PicklePilot New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    U may know this but there is actually 3 videos there. It looks like one link buts it's 3

9. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +456 / 14
    Have you calibrated the TX Sticks. Its a function in the System menu on the radio. You have curves implemented in Cleanflight remove them.

Set all settings back to default in Cleanflight and use the radio to set Rates and curves. Ensure that the radio is set to +-100 end point travel for all sticks.

Use the Radio Monitor (function menu) to check stick movement and centres. Not Cleanflight.

Cleanflight is not 100% compatible. Gyro drift happens when you connect to cleanflight and have a stationary drone. Stick non calibration will also effect this. It is not representative of normal flight.

You will find that using cleanflight you will get unexpected results. If you change settings in cleanflight you will get unusual flight performance.

The FC is proprietary and does not respond to cleanflight settings as you would expect.

I would recommend that you purchase a F3 Kit to experiment with Cleanflight. With a Cleanflight supported FW version.

Any switch that can start the props spinning is dangerous. Transmitters have been known to flick switches when the wind blows them over. The CSC requires you to have the Transmitter in your hands to arm. Also if you cant use the CSC to arm then you have an issue that needs to be addressed before you fly. Kill switches on the other hand are good.

You can experiment as much as you like its your 150. But be advised you will not always get consistent results.

10. PicklePilot

PicklePilot New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I thank you for your help. I do enjoy flying the Rodeo and have felt as if I got a good bargain when it was purchased for $140usd RTF. That being said I am having a bit of post purchase regret. I bought the Rodeo for what I thought was an introduction to hobby grade quadcopters. I intend to grow in this hobby and possibly join a local flying club one day with dreams of MultiGP event flying. I was hoping the Rodeo would introduce me to some of the educational aspects of FPV racer adjustments and flight but it seems that the Rodeo 150 is only a higher end toy grade, line of sight and FPV flyer. But it is what it is.

At this point I will be resetting all cleanflight parameters and attempt to get the Tx issues worked out. If I can't get the arming issues worked out using traditional methods I will contact Walkera with my dissatisfaction with hopes they will help me become a happy owner of the Rodeo or help me in moving on to a true hobby grade quadcopter.